Weddin Shire Council employs an Authorised Officer to perform the following duties:
- To impound stray dogs and feed and water while impounded
- To liaise and co-operate with rehoming organisations for the possible re-homing of impounded animals
- To update and maintain Impounding Records
- To attend to or take appropriate action with wandering stock in public places.
- To assist LLS personnel, vets and emergency services in instances of stock truck rollovers and accidents
- To follow guidelines of relevant Acts and regulations to ensure compliance with legislation
- To promote community education and responsible pet ownership programs
- To submit annual reporting to OLG and DPI agencies
- To perform annual compliance inspections for Menacing/Dangerous Dogs
- To investigate dog attacks, take appropriate action and report on NSW CAR
- To create and issue relevant correspondence in relation to the Companion Animals Act 1998 and the Impounding Act 1993
- To liaise and report to NSW Revenue
- To enter information, update and create certificates for microchipping and registration through NSW CAR
Weddin Shire Council offers the following services:
- Hiring of traps and barking collars
- Information in relation to permanent identification and registration requirements
- Information in relation to offences under the Companion Animals Act 1998 and the Impounding Act 1993
- Information in relation to the keeping of Dangerous or Restricted dogs
- Advice in preventing nuisance behavior
Weddin Shire Council's Impounding facility is located in Memory Street, Grenfell. Appointments must be made for the viewing of animals. No animal is to be left unattended at the facility.
Council's Ranger can be contacted on 0427 246 787 Monday to Thursday (between 6.45am – 4.15pm) and every second Friday until 1pm, or at Council (Monday to Friday 8.30am-4pm on (02) 6343 1212).